December 29, 2013

Chopping Wood in a Sporting Goods Store

Date Dreamed: 2013-12-23

Dream

I’m working in a sporting goods store and we are preparing for a big sale. Adam is trying to light a fire for a camping display, but he’s trying to start with whole logs. I explain that he is going to need kindling to get the fire going, and help him to get it working. After the fire is burning we use big umbrellas to catch the smoke (we are indoors). I’m wondering why the fire alarms aren’t going off. This was only practice for the sale and for the actual event the boss decides that I should be in charge of the fire. We still only have unsplit logs and the sale is about to start, so I start chopping the wood into kindling right in the store (I’m assuming we had a splitting maul in stock). The boss is giving a speech to rally the crowd at the front of the store while I hurry to light the fire. I get the fire going just before the shoppers arrive.

Campfire with Umbrella
Context Explanations

Adam was my coworker back when I used to have a job, and he also works part time at a sporting goods store. I have a bit of a reputation as a good fire tender. It's one of my many skills that for some reason completely fail to impress women.

Plot Holes

Why would I get a job in a sporting goods store? I would be terrible at selling things and helping shoppers.

Erection?

Pyromanically Yes

Analysis

I pine for a job where I can do things that I enjoy and am good at, like tending fires. I also miss working with Adam I guess. I also planned on going to a sporting goods store later in the day.

Auguries

The fire symbolizes a consuming desire, and the wood chopping symbolized badassery (think Rocky IV or Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven). I’ll be consumed by striving to be badass in the future. Also in the present. And the past too.

No comments:

Post a Comment