December 31, 2013

Aircraft Attack

Date Dreamed: 2013-12-31

Dream

I’m with a group of people on a beach when a friend of ours lands a new fighter jet. He gets out of the cockpit and stands on the wing while we all admire his plane. Everyone panics when a squad of a dozen Japanese Zeros fly over the horizon. We have four planes of our own, counting the new one, and I jump into an older model jet. We scramble our planes to engage the Zeros above the beach. The dogfighting is incredibly compact and the main challenge is trying not to crash into the other planes as we weave through the sky, but I still have plenty of time to lock missiles and blow up some of the Zeros. The dream ends on what could have been stock footage for Top Gun but with WWII planes in the sights instead of MiGs.

Zeros coming over the horizon

Context Explanations

A Zero is a fighter aircraft used by the Japanese during World War II.

Plot Holes

No way could modern jet fighter and seventy year old propeller planes have anything resembling the dogfights that I was imagining. We also have to assume that this is the type of beach you could land a plane on.

Erection?

Top Gun Inspiredly Yes

Analysis

I’m a big fan of Top Gun, so I guess dreams about dog fighting are only natural. The beach is probably from an episode of Futurama I saw where they landed spaceships on a beach and the left huge furrows in the sand. A professor in college taught us about how capillary forces in sand can create a vacuum pressure that can increase the bearing capacity of sand to a level were planes can land (busting out facts like this is why I don't feel like I'm wasting my education). I also have a fondness for the aesthetic design of WWII era planes, although the Zero isn’t one of my favorites.

Auguries

The Zeros coming over the horizon are symbolic of the Pearl Harbor attack. An attack will come from an unexpected source.

No comments:

Post a Comment