January 10, 2014

Mall Zombies (but not like Dawn of the Dead)

Date Dreamed: 2014-01-10

Dream

It’s winter and everyone is camped outside a strip mall. I’m walking past a small pine tree and a white walker (zombie from Game of Thrones) jumps out and attacks me. More white walkers are emerging from snow banks and alleys and are attacking all over camp. I run around not really doing anything to fight them, and come up with a theory that killing them by traditional means won’t accomplish anything. They have some sort of spirit that is beyond the body, and they can regenerate themselves unless this is destroyed. We kill the zombies or fight them off (the dream was pretty lacking in specifics here) and retreat into the strip mall. We send a couple people into the back room to guard that entrance while the rest of us sit around a card table and guard the front. We are waiting for other people to arrive and someone says Jon the Can will be here soon. Jon and can rhyme in the dream somehow and I think this is a good nickname for him.

Jon the Can

Context Explanations

I went to high school with Jon and I used to be a jerk to him and make fun of him a lot. Not because he was fat or anything but because he never had his own opinions and just went along with what everyone else was doing. I have a low tolerance for obsequious behavior.

Plot Holes

Why would we camp outside perfectly good structures in the middle of winter?

Erection?

Chillingly Yes

Analysis

Everything before we go into the mall is memory references (my theory about zombie regeneration is related to Philosophick Mercury in the book I’m reading). I think my relationship with Jon was the introspectively interesting part of the dream. I never had any respect for him and that made me ashamed to be his friend. I despair when I hear that he is coming, but take heart in the fact that the others are making fun of him. I believe that all my mocking was an attempt to drive him away so that I would feel bad for having to associate with him.

Auguries

The regenerating zombies mean that an old problem will reappear, possibly related to commerce (the strip mall).

No comments:

Post a Comment