January 9, 2014

Chameleon Crabs

Date Dreamed: 2014-01-09

Dream

The apocalypse happened. Apparently it was surprising, because we're all just wandering around as refugees. A group of survivors and I decide to gather some supplies and walk to Moorcroft, Wyoming to hold up (why I cannot possibly tell you). We are walking through the woods when we are attacked by giant crab-like monsters. They are invisible when standing still, then snatch their prey in a burst of speed. I pull an Alan Grant and conclude that their vision is based on movement. It turns out we’re in an apple orchard, so I gather up some apples and form a plan. I take a few quick steps, triggering an attack, then throw and apple and freeze (“IAN FREEZE”). The crab monster chases the apple, and a second monster attacks it. They start fighting and we make our escape. I lead the group out of the orchard, periodically throwing an apple ahead to check for monsters. Without further incident, we hike to the bottom of a valley filled with suburban neighborhoods (viewed from the slopes everything in the valley was two dimensional as if it were drawn on a map, which was strange). All the streets are packed with dangerous traffic and a young boy in our group is almost run over. The boy lives nearby, so we stop at his house to gather supplies. I grab some cases of soda pop to carry on the journey (because apparently those are important survival rations). We then begin the long walk to Moorcroft. The dream then switches over to the Top Gear hosts. James May thinks the best survival plan is to find a fertile island were you can live, but Jeremy Clarkson thinks you need a giant airship. The dream ends before we hear Richard Hammond's plan.

Chameleon Crab

Context Explanations

I went so high school in Gillette, Wyoming which is only 29 miles from Moorcroft. I have no idea what appeal Moorcroft has to survivors of the apocalypse. I guess there is a lake nearby.

Plot Holes

What is the deal with the crab monsters? Were they created by radiation from the nuclear fallout? Why do they love the taste of apples and human flesh? Also, what kind of predator has vision based on movement? I guess if your species is invisible when standing still you assume everyone else can do the same and don’t bother to develop the ability to see them unless they move?

Erection?

Apocalyptically Yes

Analysis

I think this one is another amalgam of things I’ve seen recently. An apocalypse because I love apocalypse fiction. I recently made a trip to Moorcroft to pick up my grandma. Crab monsters are probably due to the Mystery Science Theater 3000 monster movies I’ve watched recently (none had crabs specifically, but combine giant locust with Gamera and you kind of get a crab monster). Vision based on movement is clearly Jurassic Park. I eat plenty of apples. 2-D terrain sounds like Google Maps. The busy suburban street is from my book describing the streets in 18th century London, with their constant threat of being run over by a cart. I also just finished watching the 19th series of Top Gear. The only thing I can’t place are the cases of pop.

Auguries

First of all, APOCALYPSE. Second, crabs are the zodiac sign for Cancer. Some astrology site told me Cancer is all about home, so I guess I still shouldn’t be leaving the house (it’s cold out there anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment