January 31, 2014

Country Lobster

Date Dreamed: 2014-01-31

Dream

I’m visiting Dale at his house in the country. We are traveling by boat along the local canal system and he is telling me about his brother and his brother’s wife. He explains that they are very eccentric and then offers me the chance to meets them. I figure why not, and then I am at their house alone. I walk inside but they don’t seem to notice me. They are talking about Dale’s friend who doesn’t have a job, who happens to be me. Gathering wild egg comes into the conversation and they decide to keep everything they find since I can apparently use any extra food. I decide to leave since they are having a conversation about me that is embarrassing, and are also the kind of people who don’t notice a third person standing in the room with them. The instant I move they notice me, and don’t acknowledge that I had just heard their conversation. They offer to take me out to their lobster traps and the practice of catching your own food interests me, so I agree. We drive out, because apparently fish traps are easier to access by land, but the house is best traveled to by boat? To entertain me on the trip the wife is asking me riddles. The riddles are completely unfathomable to me, and I can’t tell if they are actually obscure facts or meant to have some clever answer. The only one I can remember is “What is the deadliest reptile in Los Angelis?”. I can't think of anything to solve the riddles, so I just don't say anything. She isn’t deterred by my silence and just keeps asking new riddles without answering the old ones. As we stop at an old corrugated metal pipe I’m told we’ve arrived at the traps. Seeing a crawdad on the edge of the water clues me in that these aren’t going to be true lobsters. The dream ends as the wife starts hauling in a line that leads to the mouth of the culvert.  

Crawdad by a Culvert

Context Explanations

Dale is a friend of mine from work. I’ve never met his relatives, but I have been in his boat.

Plot Holes

The part where they don’t notice me enter the room only really works with dream logic. I also don't require food charity. 

Erection?

Quizzically Yes

Analysis

The main theme seems to be gathering food from nature. I view the ability to collect your own food as a form of independence, since you wouldn’t be tied to grocery stores anymore. If I didn’t have to buy my food, the desire for an internet connection would be the only thing left keeping me in contact with society. The ability to feed oneself without any outside help is a power that I have a lot of respect for. It looks like I would be willing to eat things like crawdads and fertilized wild bird eggs to accomplish this goal, or at least try to eat them. Pertaining to the house scene, getting ignored while others have a conversation is not an uncommon occurrence for me. I don't usually thrust myself into conversations, and if I don't have anything to add I just keep quiet and think about my own things.

Auguries

Traveling by water brings neglect, while traveling by land brings a bountiful harvest. I should fish from shore more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment