January 28, 2014

Back Yard Cults

Date Dreamed: 2014-01-28

Dream

We are gathered around a camp fire in my friend’s back yard. Anna B shows up and starts preaching at us to join a brain wash cult. She is very bland and devoid of personality, and makes no convincing arguments for getting brain washed by cultist. When Ashley appears I'm happy to see her and ask if she remembers me, since I haven’t seen her in at least 12 years, but she seems to struggle accessing her memories. Someone comments that I drove from one state over just to be here, but she can only dimly recall who I am. I am crestfallen when she reveals that she is also a member of the cult. Then Alaina arrives and starts preaching in a much more vivacious manner. As a bonus, she also offers to get rid of the brain wash cultists. The only problem is that she is a member of a satanic cult. We reluctantly accept the satanic cult as the better choice, and follow Alaina into the front yard. On arriving at the front of the house we find a large green bonfire. Looking up and down the street, I see many similar fires in front of neighboring houses. The dream ends as I slowly lower Anna into the satanic green fire.

Green Fire

Context Explanations

I went to grade school with Anna B (I use the last initial since there was more than one Anna around at the time) and Ashley in Sheridan, WY. We all lived in roughly the same neighborhood. I did junior high and high school with Alaina in Gillette, WY. She was the closest thing to a friend that I had among all the females of my high school. I’m confident that none of these women have ever been members of a cult.

Plot Holes

Green bonfires in the front yard seem pretty showy for Satanists, but it seemed pretty wide spread so maybe it was just a devil worshiping neighborhood.

Erection?

Horrifyingly Yes

Analysis

This one is pretty grim if taken literally, so I’m going to assume this was all symbolism. I think the opposing cults were exaggerated depictions of how society portrays good and bad moral behavior. To be good, you need to be bland and lifeless, and any kind of fun is seen as evil. When confronted with a choice between the two, I make a rational choice that it is better to be considered evil than to have no individual personality. I can’t really explain why I put Anna into the fire, except that it seemed an appropriately satanic initiation ritual. I think the whole devil worship thing originates from the satanic cab driver in the movie Ghost Dad, which I watched recently (I watched it to better appreciate references in Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, not because I thought it would be a good movie).

Auguries

I’ll be faced with a moral decision, and it looks like I’m going to make the more exciting yet morally worse choice. The green fire speaks of copper, so maybe I’m going to engage in some evil wiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment