February 27, 2014

Break Away Blocker

Dream

I’m playing football in junior high. The game consists of my team having one break away play after another. I’m keep running with the ball carriers in case anyone tries to tackle them, but the other team is usually far behind. This happens a few times with different players scoring the touchdown (one of them Eric who was one of the fasted kids in the state, but I was somehow keeping up with him). After we get to the end zone I always hit them on the shoulder pads and shouted congratulations. Strangely, the field we're playing in is actually three fields in a U shape, with a steel building in the middle. The final break away play that I remember had Brooks running the ball (he was always a little faster than me in school), and Ryan was running as a blocker with me. We are way out ahead of anyone chasing us, so we aren’t running at full speed. I periodically look back and call out the distance of the nearest pursuer is getting, which is never closer than 30 yards. After scoring we walk through the building to get back to our team since they're on the other side of the U. The opposing coach is standing in the overhead doorway of the building, and I hear him complain about how badly they are losing.

Break Away Play

Analysis

When I played football I always enjoyed running with the breakaway plays. It was something I did just because I could. I was one of the faster kids on the team, but I couldn’t catch, so I ended up playing on the line. The most exciting thing I could do on offense was to make a block to ensure a touchdown, so that's what I always tried to do. During break away plays it seemed like most people would just acknowledge that they are out of the action and stop trying, but I always ran to catch up. This usually resulted in the ball carrier and I running by ourselves but I always hoped something exciting would happen. Nobody ever pulled a hamstring and fumbled the balls so that I would have to run it in, and there was never a world champion sprinter on the other team that I had to slow down, but I was always ready. In sports, I always have the most fun when I'm doing something. Why would I stand around for half the play when I could be sprinting down field? If I'm playing center field and there is a grounder to the pitcher, I still run to the infield in case of an overthrow or anything like that. I don't see the point of just relaxing in the outfield and watching the play happen without trying to be a part of it. Back to break away plays in football, I also enjoyed getting into the end zone on scoring plays. I’m not certain if I was trying to share some of the glory or make it look like I was helping, but I always wanted to be there.

Auguries

Following in the footsteps of others will lead to success, but we may need to travel farther than normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment