February 28, 2014

Escaping Airports

Dream

I won a guest appearance on Man vs.Wild with Bear Grylls. The environment we are surviving is an airport, specifically how to get out of an airport during a disaster. There is some stuff about how to get through security, but the thing he is actually showing me in the dream is how to put on a hazmat suit while running. First he takes his suit out of the bag (you should never go anywhere without your packaged hazmat suit) and puts the hood over his head. He is then securing the hood to his head with the draw strings, so that the suit will stay on while leaving his arms free. The way he ties the draw strings is very involved, since he is doing it without ever releasing his grip on them. During this entire thing we are running through a busy airport. Bear’s explanations are always deadly serious and intense but everyone keeps looking at us like we’re crazy and I’m having a hard time not breaking into laughter. I notice Nathan (a friend from high school) in the crowd and I give him a shrug to show that I really don’t know what to make of this situation. Bear is going on and on about how people might be trying to get us and they could have biological weapons, and all I can do is smile and nod. He says “I spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff” and I think to myself “yeah, I can kind of tell.”

Hazmat Suit on a Bear

Analysis

I haven’t seen an episode of Man vs. Wild in a long time, but I like the twist my dream put on the show. First, having an unskilled guest on is nice because it limits the survival techniques to things that normal people can actually do (free climbing a sheer cliff isn’t something the average lost hiker is willing to attempt). I also like the idea of surviving in urban situations. To get lost in the jungle you usually have to deliberately go to the jungle, but you never know when you might be in the middle of an urban disaster. The main problem with this, which is shown pretty well in the dream, is that it's hard to actually create the disaster so that you can survive it. We just went to an actual operating airport and pretended like a disaster was happening and this ended up looking farcical.

The dream also shows the problem I have with being serious. I like to maintain a carefree attitude and rarely get work up over anything. A complete sincerity demeanor always appears absurd to me and if I ever behave this way you can be confident that I’m doing it facetiously. It’s more fun to see the humor in everything.

Auguries

I need to start carrying a hazmat suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment