March 3, 2014

Risqué Research

Dream

I travel down to a spring break, or Mardi Gras, or whatever to perform some research on sexual suggestibility. My hypothesis is that you can easily get women to perform sexual displays (get topless, make out with each other, etc.) if you point a camera at them. Basically, the Girls Gone Wild Theory. I start out as a stage show where some woman is performing nude. Instead of filming her I spend the whole time zooming in on children in the crowd. They all appear to be in various forms of distress. The distress is more often than not caused by their parents or the people around them than what is happening on the stage. Later, I find some women and invite them to a party at my parent’s house (my parents are away at the time). Two women show up and they bring two guys with them (I’m going to assume they brought some beer or something as well). We all hang out for a while but everyone is quickly bored. My study is completely forgotten at this point as I’m in over my head and have lost control of the situation. They decide that we should get some cocaine. The term used was something like “special cough drops” which I recognized to mean cocaine, but pretended that I didn’t actually know what it is. I’m given the number of a drug dealer, and when I talk to him on the phone he gives me convoluted directions on where to go to pick up the “special cough drops”. I have no intention of going to get the drugs and I figure that I can use the confusing directions to claim that I got lost trying to find them. As a good host, I set everyone up to watch some TV shows with my Netflix account while I’m gone. I also give explicit instruction not to invite anyone else over while I’m out of the house, but I really don’t trust these to be followed. As I leave I get a pang of guilt that they are seeing the next episode on my Netflix queue before I will and wish I could stay.

Hand over kids eyes

Analysis

The primary inspiration at work here is my real life confusion with why girls put on sexual displays. I never really partied in school (if that wasn’t obvious), but I always heard stories of girls making out with each other or flashing their breasts. There is also the whole phenomenon of Girls Gone Wild, Wet T-Shirt Contests, and such that is fairly established. The only explanation I can think of is that these displays are done to get attention, but the kind of attention that they draw don’t seem all that desirable. Any consideration you gain will probably just be exploitative and shallow. Developing a sense of humor or an interesting intellect seems like a much better means of getting attention. That my personal opinion anyway.

The distressed children might be a comment on how trying to shelter children from all things sexual can do more harm than good. Setting something up as forbidden often just encourages its pursuit, and trying to keep anyone ignorant, regardless of the subject, is not something that I can really support.

Other stuff going on in this dream is me feigning ignorance of drugs and exploiting my poor ability to navigate complex urban environments to protect myself from drug use. This has never actually happened, but it's very plausible I would behave this way in a real situation. As someone who doesn’t even like the way alcohol effects people’s behavior, cocaine is way beyond what I’m willing to try or want to be around. I’m also truly covetous of my Netflix queue and always look forward to watching the next episode in whatever series I’m currently viewing.

Auguries

Forget going to parties. They only make me uncomfortable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment